If 3doctors told me I should change careers due to present and past medical reasons, am I entitled to workers comp, state disability or retirement for this?

It is my belief my job has caused me to lose this very well paying job due to the stress entailed dealing with inmates and staff. I was a correctional officer for the state.

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unless you can demonstrate through medical documents and opinions that your physical condition warranting the need that you change job careers was caused in fact by your current place of employment, you would not be entitled to worker's compensation, state disability or retirement benefits based upon what you have written.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the areas of worker's compensation and disability law further about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.