What to do if I was charged with underage consumption but this is the first time that I have been charged with this crime or any at all?

I am 16 years of age and my record is clean. I got a citation to court. This took place the county where I live. What am I going to be sentenced for this? What am I facing?

Asked on April 22, 2013 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to show up in court with one or both of your parents. Most likely the court will allow you court probation if you plea guilty where you would be fined, do community service work and attend classes about the dangers of underage drinking. If successful, then the charge may very well be dismissed down the road.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.