What will happen to me in court if I have been charged with possession of marijuana and cocaine with intent to distribute?

This is my first time in trouble with the law.

Asked on February 5, 2013 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If this is absolutely your first time to be in trouble with the law and there are no unusual circumstances, then you will be eligible for a probated or suspended sentence.  This means that instead of going to prison, you would be placed on probation for a number of years.  The length of time will depend on the degree of the offense that you are charged with.  Generally, the higher the degree of felony that you are charged with will result in a longer probation.  If you successfully complete your probation, then you would be eligible for a pardon under Louisiana law.  If you follow-through and make sure that you do get the pardon, you can get many of your civil rights restored. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.