If my late dad’s health/mind was declining for the past 5 years but he changed his Will 2 years ago to name my sister as his sole beneficiary, what action can I get my rightful inheritance?

He was 80 at the time of the change.

Asked on December 15, 2015 under Estate Planning, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can contest the Will in probate court.  Your legal arguments to challenge the Will would be (1) undue influence on the part of your sister; and (2) your dad did not have testamentary capacity (mental competency) to change his Will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.