IfI am currently on probation, shouldI have the same probation office my uncle had?

I am on probation and my probation officer was my uncle’s PO. I haven’t said anything to her about it but I think she may know because I was with my uncle when she violated him. Then when I went to see her the first time with the group of people meeting her, she pointed at me saying she was picking on me because I have that look of doing the wrong thing.

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written about the current probation officer that you have, it seems best that you seek another person who does not know you or any member of your family as your new probation officer. I sense from what you wrote that there may be some prejudice against you and your family with respect to the current probation officer that you have.

I would have your presumably former defense lawyer write a letter to the probation department seeking the assignment of a different probation officer to your case. Having a new probation officer for you might make things easier on you in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.