Is it legal for an employer to ask an employee to read a book that strongly promotes Christian ideas and references how to become more like God wants you to be?

Also, in a performance review, when my wife expressed that she did not understand why a co-worker is advancing quicker than she is, her employer told her that the co-worker “has 3 children” and therefore “has more life experiences” than her. To me, this train of thought is unethical since it has nothing to do with job performance directl, but I’m wondering if there’s anything illegal about it?

Asked on August 23, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1 No, it's not legal to require an employee to read a Christian--or Jewish, or Muslim, or Buddhist, etc. book--because the law prevents harassment or discrimination on the basis of religion.
2 However, in your state--and in most, but not all states--it is legal to "discriminate" against an employee due to the umber of children he/she has that is because and the reason why I put "discriminate" in quotation marks only those types of differential treatment specifically banned by law constitute illegal discrimination if the law does not make differentiating between two people on a certain basis illegal, it is therefore legal. And neither federal nor your state's law prohibits discrimination based on how many children someone has therefore, it ws legal for your employer to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.