If I was lied to about a contract that I signed and then I realized that I’m not performing the roles of the job that I signed for, what are my rights?

Can I get out of it?

Asked on September 11, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you are lied to about a contract before signing it, in order to get you to sign it, that may well be fraud, and fraud allows you to void or undo i.e. get out of a contract. Therefore, if you were in fact lied to before you sign, you likely can get out of the contract without penalty. That does not mean, however, that the other party to the contract can't try to sue you for breach of contract if you do stop performing under the contract, and therefore force you to respond to and deal with a lawsuit what it means is that based on what you write, you would seem to have a good defense to such a lawsuit or other attempt to enforce the contract IF you act shortly after finding out about the lie. If you wait too long, by continuing to perform under the contract, you could possibly be considered to have ratified the contract or waived your right to escape it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.