these lady said the we keyed her car all we did was pick flowers off of next fiance is it against the law to lie tothe police What can she chargedwith

Asked on May 16, 2009 under Criminal Law, Washington


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Do you have proof you didn't key her car? Were there witnesses? Did she say she saw you do it? Filing a false police report is a crime onto itself.   In your state, filing a false police report is:

RCW 9A.72.030

Perjury in the second degree.


(1) A person is guilty of perjury in the second degree if, in an examination under oath under the terms of a contract of insurance, or with intent to mislead a public servant in the performance of his or her duty, he or she makes a materially false statement, which he or she knows to be false under an oath required or authorized by law.

     (2) Perjury in the second degree is a class C felony.



     Purpose -- Effective date -- 2001 c 171:See notes following RCW 9A.72.010.


     Effective date -- 1995 c 285:See RCW 48.30A.900.


RCW 9A.72.020

Perjury in the first degree.


(1) A person is guilty of perjury in the first degree if in any official proceeding he makes a materially false statement which he knows to be false under an oath required or authorized by law.

     (2) Knowledge of the materiality of the statement is not an element of this crime, and the actor's mistaken belief that his statement was not material is not a defense to a prosecution under this section.

     (3) Perjury in the first degree is a class B felony.

[1975 1st ex.s. c 260 § 9A.72.020.]

[2001 c 171 § 3. Prior: 1995 c 285 § 31; 1975 1st ex.s. c 260 § 9A.72.030.]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.