If there was a warrant out for me 12 years ago for misdemeanor probation violation, is this still active?

What can I do to take care of this. I haven’t lived there in 12 years.

Asked on December 3, 2015 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

arrants do not expire. Ths is true whether or not you still live in the issuing state. The only way to deal with this is to go back and appear before a judge in court. If you fail to do so, you could be picked up in any jurisdiction and held anytime that you are stopped by the police, for as little as a speeding ticket. While you may or may not be extradited, you will have to go through the humiliation and inconvenience of being taken into custody. Additionally, this can happen each and everytime that you are stopped. It will also show up in standard background checks, so this can also affect your ability to gain employment, etc.
At this point, you should consult directly with a criminal law attorney in the area of where the warrant was issued. They can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.