If there’s no custody order in place, can I travel to Mexico with my daughter for a month without her dad knowing?

Is it possible? Plus, there’s a restraining order.

Asked on June 13, 2012 under Family Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to answer your question is to carefully read all court orders in place with respect to your minor child to see if you are able to travel to Mexico for a month without the child's spouse knowing about it. From a practical point of view, it is best to provide oral and written notice to your child's father preferably through a family law attorney that you retain of your intent given the fact that there is a restraining order in place from what you have written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.