If there is no parenting plan and my son’s bio father has had no contact with him in almost 2 years, do I have to let him have visitation now that he has asked?

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Family Law, Washington


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If there is not a legal, court order that says he is entitled to visitation, you do not have to let your son go with the bio father.  If you do want to foster the relationship, I would suggest that you only do supervised visits at this point so that he doesn't take off with your child.  It will also be easier on your son to gradually get to know his father. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.