If there are 2 areas in my Will that says My Wife instead of My Husband, is it still legal with those minor mistakes or do I need to resign the Will with the corrections and a notary?

Asked on September 3, 2015 under Estate Planning, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Those mistakes in your Will need to be corrected to avoid any future potential problems.  It would be best to have the Will re-typed with those corrections and include a statement that this Will revokes all prior Wills.
Although it is possible that you could file an amendment to the Will which is called a codocil in which those corrections are made, it would probably be preferable to just re-type the Will and sign in the presence of two disinterested witnesses since those mistakes may affect other provisions in the Will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.