If the trustee of record at the tax collector’s office for a non-profit is deceased, what documentation is required to change the trustee?

Asked on November 13, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The way the non-profit changes the designated deceased trustee's name for it is for the members of the trust or entity to hold a meeting and designate a new trustee. From there a memorandum of the resolution would be passed and signed by all interested members and then a notice of such by the new trustee would be submitted to the county tax collector's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.