If the trustee of my children’s trust has not followed the trustor’s wishes, what can they do?

He is not following his mother’s wishes.

Asked on February 24, 2013 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Assuming your children are beneficiaries of the trust, and they are minors, and you are their mother, then you need to obatin probate litigation attorney to represent you to file a petition in probate court to  be appointed their guardian ad litem of the children, and file a petition to force  the trustee into compliance with the trust provisions or be removed as trustee. If the children are not minors, then they should join to gether to obtain probate litigation counsel to file a petition in the probate court to compel compliance of the trustee to the provisions or removal of the trustee and have someone else appointed to carry out the provisions of the trust. Recommend removal of trustee.

Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The trust code of your state includes provisions to enforce the trust and carry out the intentions of the trustor.  You should consult a trust attorney in your area (look under wills, trusts, estates, probate) about your options.  They range from communicating with the trustee to alter his actions, to court orders requiring certain actions, to removing the trustee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.