What to do if the taxes on our home have been raised every single year fo the last 10 years?

We have never added any additions to the home such as more rooms. We have, however, some years ago, added a outside deck to the back. This year we had a solid roof built over the deck partway which attaches to the home but no walls or such. It is still an outside deck with a roof for shade.We also installed a above ground pool and built a deck around the pool a few years ago which has a small “bridge” attaching to the other deck. Our real estate taxes this year were raised $251. We are a retired couple living on a fixed income. We may have to sell our home cause we can’t afford the taxes. Is it legal for them to raise our taxes every year?

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of each state in this country real property taxes can be increased yearly on a certain percentage.

Given the need for answers to your question about property tax increases on a yearly basis, I suggest that you go down to your county property tax assessor and have a face to face meeting with one of the representatives to get answers to your question why your property taxes have been increasing for the past ten (10) years and of the increase is not a mistake.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.