In a short sale, can a tenant requestthe return of the security deposit while they still live in the rental, if it was not transferred itto the new landlord?

Would the original landlord that still has the tenants security deposit have 15 days to submit in writing the Notice of Intent to keep some or all of the security deposit from the date of the short sale closing or from the day the tenant moves out of the dwelling?

Asked on July 21, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your old landlord did not transfer the security deposit to the new owner then he or she broke the law.  The landlord holds the security on behalf of the tenant.  Your right to sue the landlord, however, does not "accrue" or become viable until you move out.  The time line here does not matter anymore.  You need to write to both your old landlord and the new landlord regarding the deposit.  You can quote the law (section 83.49(7) of the Florida law deals with the transfer of the deposit; you seem to be aware of the security deposit law) and advise that if you do not have compliance with the law as it stands that you will seek the help of the courts in resolving this matter as against both parties.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.