If the post holding 16 small metal mailboxes at my mother’s condo rusted out and the unit fell on her severely sliced her leg, what are her rights?

The post holding 16 small metal mailboxes rusted out and the unit fell on my mom and severely sliced her leg. She is in her 80s, was still driving and active. Not now. She is having to hire help to stay alone. It was reported 3 times that the stand was weak and the post office truck was there the next business day to repair after the accident. Is there a case? Who is responsible? This happened a week ago.

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Personal Injury, Indiana


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would encourage you to contact a personal injury lawyer in your area.  It is impossible to know from your question who is responsible for the mailbox unit.  It could be the condo association, or the condo association could have some responsibility.  I would not think that the US Postal Service would have responsibility, but perhaps they do.  In any event, it sounds like your mom was sufficiently injured to warrant speaking with an attorney.

Personal injury attorneys offer free consultations.  If they accept a case, almost all of them will accept them on a contingency basis - getting paid only if they recover damages for your mom.

I truly hope your mom recovers without any permanent damage or decline.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.