Can the nursing home my mom passed away at bill me for “room charges”?

My mom was recovering from a stroke in a nursing home after being in the hospital and died (kidney/not eating problems). The home is now charging me in my name for her stated income that was coming in during the 3 months she was there. The income was partly from my dad (they are legally married but separated and he lives in a different place) and social security. Does the nursing home have the right get money directly from me or my dad now that my mom is dead?

Asked on July 27, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your loss. Generally, spouses can be responsible for medical bills. Also, the nursing home has a right to go against the assets of the estate if there is not another entity that can be billed or pay for the charges.  You said that your mother was recuperating from a hospital stay.  Generally when a person goes from the hospital to a nursing facility it is part of the same illness and "process", so to speak, and is covered by the same provider that covered the hospital stay.  I would seek help from someone who can see what went on here and can ask you questions about your parents situation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.