If the mother of my son will not let me see my child, what can I do?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there are no court orders in place, then you need to file a custody suit so that you can officially be named "dad" and the court can set up a visitation schedule.  You will probably also be required to pay child support. 

If there is already an order in place that says you can see the child at certain times and she is not abiding by it, then you can file a motion to enforce or a motion for contempt in the same court which put the custody order in place.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.