What to do if the income of the non-custodial father has increased significantly?

What is the best way to approach reviewing the amount and getting it increased The amount has not changed in 10 years. The non-custodial parent lives in one state and we live in another.

Asked on January 14, 2013 under Family Law, Virginia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to file a motion to modify the child support obligation in the court which entered the original child support order.  If the child has moved, you can ask that the case be transferred to the new county or state where the child resides.  Venue follows the child.  Modifications can be by agreement or contested.  It will be easier and quicker if the two of you can agree on an amount-- but, in the absence of an agreement you can file the request to modify and he will be required to provide proof of his current income to the court so that the court can determine the appropriate amount of child support that he should be paying.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.