What to do if the mother of my granddaughter wrote a letter and had it notorized giving me custody of her as soon as she delivers?

There isn’t a court order on this baby, she just wants me to have custody of her until she is financially able too. So I needed to know, will the hospital accept this and also is this legal? And should I file it in the clerks office or what?

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Family Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to review the contents of the custody order to see if it comploes with the laws of your state as a valid legal document giving you custody of the minor. Based upon the attorney's advice, follow his or her recommendations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.