Was there a conflict of interest if the judge at my DUI proceeding was my wife’s divorce lawyer?

The fact is that we got into big arguments.

Asked on August 21, 2014 under Criminal Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There would not have been a conflict of interest, since he was not at that time representing any party whose interests were contrary or opposed to your interest (e.g., the outcome of your DUI has no bearing on your divorce; it seems like your divorce was completed anyway; the state, not your wife, was the other party in a DUI hearing; etc.).

It is possible that he maintained or had a bias against you, if the divorce had been acrimonous and you and he had gotten into bitter or angry exchanges (or if you had filed some complaint against him earlier); however, there would typically have to be compelling evidence of personal animous or animosity, and *not* just the fact that had represented your wife, to show that sort of bias. If there was such evidence, it might be possible to get the results of that hearing set aside, though that will not dismiss the DUI charges--all that would happen is a new hearing, before a different judge, would be scheduled.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.