If a jewelry store lost my engagement ring, what are my rights?

They have offered a replica of my ring but nothing can replace the sentimental value my original ring meant to me I can’t help but to feel they need to go above and beyond for this mistake. What am I entitled to?

Asked on December 1, 2011 under General Practice, North Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It is not that easy to effectively translate sentiment into a lawsuit specific amount. You need to understand that the underlying transaction seems to be one in contract (i..e, you had the ring there to be sized or cleaned or updated). It wouldn't appear that the likely culprit is loss but possible theft internally by staff or simply lost in transit if it was shipped somewhere for additional work. You should (if this was a particularly expensive ring) consider talking to a lawyer and see if the lawyer can discuss the matter with the store and the store's insurance company about a replacement ring (same or better than the one you had) and the emotional distress caused on what would be a contract breach. Typically emotional distress is disallowed for such contract breaches but you may be able to get lucky with this scenario.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.