What to do if the county treasurer foreclosed on my house?

I went to court and they said I could attorney but that it probably wouldn’t do any good. They set a date I had to be out and I wasn’t so the lawyer for the county gave me extra time and now I have to be out tomorrow. I’m very appreciative for the extra time but my dad wants to buy the house. I have told them to name the price and I would pay whatever. They said it could only be sold at auction. Houses don’t always sell at auction and my dad is willing to pay whatever they want. See the taxes aren’t really in my name, they are in the mortgage company’s name. I got behind on the mortgage a bit but they never sent me any court papers about being foreclosed on. Should I have gotten an attorney?

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you and yur father consult a real estate attorney to assist you regarding the matter that you have written about. Under the laws of most states in this country, if one has lost his or her home in a tax foreclosure due to lack of payment of all property taxes, the former owner has usually up to a year to redeem the amount paid at auction to get the property back.

This may be your and your father's legal recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.