If the house I bought passed FHA inspection and passed a homeowner’s inspection but it should have failed, what are my rights?

I bought a house about 20 months ago. I just had an electrician come out because I had a tree fall on our power wire (the company put it back up). I called the electrician for an estimate to get the wife attached to the siding again. Well come to find out I have an 100 amp and an house my size should have 150 amp. The breaker box is a 200 amp. Also, the main breaker is backwards (it looks off when it is on). The electrician told it should have all failed and it will a decent amount to fix. Should the home inspector or FHA pay the cost since they missed it and said it was okay.

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Delaware


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The lender has no obligation to you concerning the condition of the home when you bought it under the laws of all states in this country in that the lender's issue is the home.

As to the home inspector who missed the problems with the electrical issues with the home, you might have a claim against him or her for the costs of repair or diminution in value concerning the home's condition due to the bad wiring whichever is the lesser.

I suggest that you consult further with a real estate attorney about this matter and how you should proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.