If the house I’m renting had a subterranean water main break, who is liable for the 1k water bill?

This leak was about a year ago. It occurred during a soggy patch of weather, water pressure was not affected so we weren’t aware of a problem until the ground had water standing after the rain let up. We notified the landlord immediately. Repair was made but we are stuck with a huge bill due to their plumbing failure. Do we have any recourse?

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In order to ascertain who is responsible for the large water bill resulting from the break in the pipe at the rental you occupy, you need to carefully read the lease to see who is responsible for repairs to the unit in that the presumed written lease controls the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa.

If the landlord is obligated for the repairs to the rental and since the rental is owned by the landlord, then the landlord should be responsible for the water bill that is on the large side resulting from the leak in an amount in excess of your monthly average to date.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.