What to do if the grantee on a quit claim deed defaulted on the terms of the contract?

Property was deeded to the grantee under the terms that the grantee would assume the mortgage responsibilities on the property. In the last 9 months only 1 payment has been made. Can anything be done to get the deed reversed? Should I just let the property get forclosed on? What happens if it is sold by the grantee – does the mortgate automatially get paid off by the realestate office? The grantee lived on the property was working with a grantwriter in order to develop the property and was told by the grantwriter that it would be easier if the property was already in the grantee name.

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is time to get a lawyer.  Verbal contracts regarding the "sale" of real estate are not valid under the law and you can not make agreements about paying mortgages like that.  It most certainly violates the mortgage agreement. Please, please get legal help.  It sounds like you have been duped.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.