If the building drawings for my house were not done correctly and nowthe house is built incorrectly, who is responsible for paying o the fix?

We are building a house. The drafting company failed to draw in a 3 foot pony wall on the second floor which has made the house 3 feet short. Which has made the whole second floor not fit correctly and has made the second floor bathroom unusable at all. The only fix is to rebuild the second floor. Who would be responsible for paying for that correction?

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. You should immediately consult with an attorney who practices construction law concerning the question that you are writing about. Possibly the architect, structural engineer or the contractor (or a combination of all three) are responsible for the problems that you are experiencing with the home.

You most likely will have to retain a set of experts to review the plans and the as built structure that you are writing about for an opinion as to the cause of the defective construction of your home.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.