If the deed to my mother’s house was changed to my brother andI but she retained alife estate, can we sell the house to cover her nursing home expenses?

She is 97 and has to go into a nursing home. Can my brother and I sell the house with her permission?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Is there a power of attorney that she gave to someone in effect? If so, does the power of attorney allow the sale of property that she has an interest in? If so, you can sell the home that she has a life estate in.

From a practical matter, if your mother gives you and your brother signed written permission in a document signed before a notary public, you and your brother can sell the home. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.