The day before my house was to be sold, the bank issued a stay and wrote it off as a bad debt. I’ve decided to move back into the house.

What is required to protect me legally–there was a judgment filed against me for the balance due. i’m making payments on this. Bank said they couldn’t foreclosure since there is no longer a mortgage on their books. What is your advice?

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If I understand the situation correctly, the property is still in your name, your mortgage loan has been reduced to a judgment for the balance due and the lien of the mortgage has been removed (although it's been replaced by the judgment lien).  It sounds very unusual to me, and before I'd want to venture a guess on why this happened and what you should do next, I'd need a lot more of the factual background.

I'm not a Pennsylvania attorney, and the law and procedure differs from one state to another.  The legal fee for advice you can rely on is far less than what a mistake in this could cost you, all too easily.  One place you can find the lawyer you need is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.