What to do if the law changed after I accepted a deal from the DA?

The DA offered that if I pled guilty to the charges I would have to register as a level 1 sex offender and do 60 days in jail. Well I did my 60 days and this year my 10 years are up. Now I was told I have to register for 20 since the registry raised the time for a level 1 offender to 20 years. I took the DA ‘s offer of 10 years. I wouldn’t have taken a deal? What do I do?

Asked on August 14, 2013 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written, I suggest that you immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney in the county where you were arrested and plead out to see what legal recourse you may have to set aside your plea given the chance in the law. An attorney in the locality can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.