What to do if the condo next door to mine has been foreclosed on but has been left unlocked and full of trash that is attracting bugs and possibly rodents?

There are vagrants going in and out of there also. Does the bank that owns it have a legal responsibility to do anything about it?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes.  You can sue the bank for a nuisance.  However, your best bet is to contact your local city/county code enforcement agency and have them fine the bank.  It is best to document what is going on (i.e. pictures, video) and bring that to the code enforcement officer.  Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.