The company I work for was sold. There was a shared services agreement that I was included in without my consent that forced me to work for both companies. I was putting in 65 hours a week in order to get the work done for both companies.

My new employers forced me to do the work for both
companies while also collecting the 30 portion of
my salary the previous owners paid for my services.
Is there anything I can do about this other than find a
new job….lol.

Asked on February 21, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

You have no rights, other than to be paid the proper amount for your work: for all hours worked, if hourly (and overtime, as applicable); your weekly salary if an exempt salaried employee. Your employer has the right to determine what work you do, which can include work for other companies. Your employer also has the right to retain any amounts they are paid for your services--they can profit off you. Your only right, as stated, is to be paid what your wages or salary are--that, and the right to quit if you don't like the working situation.
Your employer can also change--i.e. reduce--your salary, wages, or other compensation at will, so long as you do not have a written employment contract locking in or guarantying certain compensation. If you do have a contract, however, you can enorce its terms in court via a lawsuit if you deem it worthwhile to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.