The company I work for is in violation of the local labor law. Should I take them to small claims court, report them to OSHA, or what? I know that I a

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think the very first thing you need to do is talk to a lawyer, in confidence.  You have not (quite rightly) given any details of the labor law violation, or what kind of work your company does.  These are just some of a number of facts that your attorney will want to know, before giving you advice to rely on.

You may not have the ability to sue for this violation, if it isn't directly affecting you.  And you also need to know what your rights would be, if the company decides it doesn't want a troublemaker (you) around any more.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.