If my son has an accident in a car that is registered to me and insured in my name, can I be held liable for costs that exceed coverage?

My son is 18 and on the policy.

Asked on November 3, 2015 under Accident Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your son is at fault in the accident, you will be liable because you are the registered owner of the vehicle.
In addition to liability for property damage (cost of repairs to the other vehicle), you will also be liable for the personal injury claims of the occupants of the other vehicle that was not at fault in the accident.  Your liability on the personal injury claims will include the medical bills, pain and suffering (an amount in addition to the medical bills) and wage loss.
If the case is NOT settled with your auto insurance company, you will be sued for negligence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.