If the biological father of my baby wants nothing to do with her, legally can I get my current boyfriend to sign the birth certificate?

He is more than willing to take care of her.

Asked on November 10, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In Texas, as in other states, if the parents of the child are unmarried, the father would sign an Acknowledgement of Paternity which is then sent in to the local registrar along with the Mother's signature and that becomes the birth certificate.    By doing this does your boyfriend understand that he is claiming to be the Father and to be obligated to support the child?  It is the obligation of the biological father to support the child unless those rights are terminated.  I would speak with some one there on the matter.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.