If my apartment complex is infested with bed bugs and I was forced to trash all of my furniture, canI get reimbursed for it?

I need to move, the place is infested in many apts and the office is aware of the problem but there was only 1 time that there was an extermination in my place. That was last month. I know the protocol is back 2 back extermination. All of my furniture is ruined. They also want to charge me for furnitureIi put in the hallway until my daughters friends could move it 4 me but the workers got to it first. If it wasn’t infested it wouldn’t have been there.

Asked on September 15, 2010 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Bed bug infestation generally falls under the theory that a landlord must insure that an apartment is habitable and free of infestation from bugs.  This is known as a warranty of habitability.  What you need to do is to make some noise.  Call the state department /county/ board of health and ask for an inspector to come down.  Get the inspector's name.  Whether or not you will be able to collect under the laws in your state will depend on many factors, but it should not deter you from bringing a suit as it is clear that you have damages resulting from the infestation.  Try a tenant's organization for help with this as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.