What all kind of documents do we need to show for strong support/joint life?

What can be best document to show that we both have a joint life? We both have a joint bank account. What else can we show for strong proof? And, if I get denied during interview, will it affect my current F1 visa status?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Immigration Law, Georgia


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to have a LOT more documents than just proof of a joint bank account.  Think of your life together and what you are doing together and bring evidence of that:  lease on the apartment, utility bills, insurance, credit card, car registration, mail/cards coming to both of you at your home, photos of you two together, with family, with friends, proof of trips taken together, weekend getaways, wedding photos, etc.  Your F-1 status will not be affected if you are denied but why would you want to be denied a green card if you are in a genuine marriage and can just take some additional efforts to gather the relevant documentation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.