Must both persons be US citizens to marry in the states?

My fiancee is a citizen of Mexico. We are living in Mexico but would like to return to TX to marry. Is this allowed?

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Texas has several requirements for the issuance of a marriage license, but residency is not one of those requirements.   Your fiancé does not have to be a citizen in order for you to get married in Texas.  There may be some logistical issues, though.  If your fiancé lives in Mexico, she will need to make plans to come to the county where you intend to be married at least 72 hours in advance and go apply for the marriage license with you.  Generally, both applicants must appear and present proof of their age and identity (like a birth certificate and driver’s license).  There are some exceptions to the requirement that an applicant appear and present this proof, but the situation you describe does not fall within one of those exceptions.  Every county clerk has a form available in their office.  Before you get to far along in your planning, drop by their office and obtain the application for a marriage license so that you will know exactly the requirements and filing fees for the county where you intend to be married. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.