Texas Inheritance

My previous deceased wifes name is on the deed/tax role for my house. She died without a will. All surviving children are above 50 yrs. old, and agree to give up all claims to the house as that is all there is to inherit. It is my desire to remove my previous wifes name, and add my present wifes name to the deed for tax purposes.

Is there a form that can be used for adult children to relinquish their rights to property avoiding probate?

Thank you

Asked on December 30, 2017 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can do affidavits of heirship wherein each child agrees to give you their interest in the house.  I would strongly suggest having a probate attorney prepare the affidavits for you so that they are properly executed, thereby accomplishing what you would prefer.  Texas still permits this process for small estates as a means for avoiding a full, expensive probate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.