termination of employment without a reason in written

My last employer made a decision to terminate my employment on 6/2/17. Only
received a severance agreement and general release of all claims along with a
cover letter telling me to sign and return the agreement by 6/9/17 5pm.

Item number one on the agreement states, End of Employment Employee’s
employment will end on June 2nd, 2017.

No reason was given for my termination. However, received a response from
company’s financial controller who also takes care of my termination
paperwork regarding question of filling out UI claim was ‘Thank you I think
the closest selection is ‘discharged’ and then if there is an explanation field
you can indicate that it was the company’s decision to terminate employment.’
As for now, I haven’t received a reason of my termination in written form.

Without know thereason my last employer will put down for my termination keeps
me from filing UI claim.

Asked on June 9, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

File for unemployment and indicate you were discharged or terminated but not "for cause"--i.e. the company decision made the decision to  let you go, which it legally can, but you did not do anything wrong to cause it. You should therefore be eligible for unemployment benefits. This is supported by the answer you received from the company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.