Terminated without cause and replaced with a younger worker

I recently lost my management position in a company I was with for 14 years and was replaced by someone about 16 years younger and making a lot less money. I am just 21 months away from my full retirement age. No reason was given for being let go.

Asked on April 6, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

IF you are over 40 (the age discrimination laws only protect those over 40)--which you presumably are--and there is no legitimate non-discriminatory reason for this, then this may well be illegal age discrimination and you may be entitled to compensation. Note that if the  younger person has credentials or education you do not have, has a strong connection to particularly important clients/customers, or has some valuable and relevant experience which you lack (even though he is younger), then replacing you with him may well be legal, as it would be if you had been having documented performance issues, absenteeism, or some other problem at work.
But if there seems to be no reason but age, then contact the federal EEOC about possibly filing a discrimination complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.