If a former employee is terminated from a health center, can they laterbe refused medical services at the center?

I was terminated because of an old felony conviction. I worked at a FQHC Community Health Center. I was told I cannot come back on campus. My providers are there. When I worked there we were told no one could be refused health care. I am unemployed and need the sliding fee there. Can I be refused health care by a federally and state funded community health center when they see convicts right out of the local jail but not me?

Asked on October 19, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This is a difficult situation. While this is a state or federally (or both) funded health entity, your prior relationship with them may cause a conflict of interest if they were to see you. Let's explore this from their point of view. If they see convicts or anyone for that matter, most of those individuals did not work for them. If they fired you because they discovered you had a prior felony conviction of which you did not disclose, then it was your fault you were fired and they had the right to fire you based on false information on the application. Now, aside from the lawful firing, if they see you as a medical provider, they could be putting themselves in a situation wherein they could be held liable to you as retribution. Just keep that in mind and see if they would be still willing to see you as a patient or if they can place you in a different medical center.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.