What are my rights if I was terminated after reporting discrimination?

I worked for over 10 years for a big company. I have had diabetes for over 15 years. This was known from day one. I had issues controlling my sugars when I first started third shift, with seizures and what not. Recently I had applied for another position at work, one I was already doing the duties for. My manager, whom had no problems with me up until then, had been avoiding me, following me around and eventually used my dry eyes (closing my eyes while at a computer) against me to get me reprimanded, he had a friend in mind for the job. I reported this as discrimination, and was fired.

Asked on September 5, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Vermont


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you were either--

Fired for reporting illegal disability based discrimination; or

Fired because you have a disability

--you may have a cause of action; from what you write, you may be able to assert a claim under both theories. You should consult with an employment law attorney to evaluate your case then, if appropriate, take action. You may be  entitled to back wages, forward-looking wages for at least some period of time, and possible to both legal fees and additional damages for the illegal discrimination. From what you write, it is well worth your time to consult with an attorney, especially as many will provide a free initial consulation to evaluate a case. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.