Tenn.- my daughter + 3 other girls signed a 10-month lease (actually the parents signed) starting mid-Aug until mid-June. 60 day notice to leave.

I signed for her to be out of apartment 6/15. The coach of her college is making them move to another apartment. I told her I would call apartment and tell them they are leaving 6/15 and will pay up until then, not paying for additional 60 days. I live in SC. Civil case can’t really be enforced? May damage my credit though.

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Because you guaranteed your daughter's lease the landlord can see you to the same extent as your daughter.  If you do not pay the balance of the lease term the landlord is sure to sue.  Yes, the judgment may enter in the other state and will effect your credit.  You want to be aware however that the landlord may file legal papers to enforce the case in SC where you live if they are willing to pay some money to do it.  You are not totally out of the clear.  I suggest calling the landlord and compromsing and putting it in writing.  this way you may be able to get out of the lease cheaper and the landlord will save money chasing you down.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.