What to do if temporary orders mandate that a respondent vacate the marital residence by a date certain but they refuse?

Law enforcement will not make her leave. What is next step in getting an order signed by the judge, ordering law enforcement to remove her?

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It's a bit odd that law enforcement will not enforce an order, but not completely unheard of because a lot of police agencies do not like to get in the middle of domestic disputes.  However, you are not without other options.  If she has not vacated by the due date, have a motion ready to file with the court to enforce the prior order and ask for sanctions, including contempt.  The judge may or may not impose contempt, but if you can get the judge to do one day, that's all you need to get her out and then change the locks.  If she enters the residences after being expelled from the home and the locks being changed, then you can press charges for criminal trespass and potentially burglary of a habitation.  If law enforcement continues to be reluctant to follow the orders or the law, then go talk to a supervisor, chief, or sheriff of the agency that is acting gutless.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.