If the father of both of my daughters claimed both of them for last years taxes, am I entitled to any of the money?

Both of the girls reside with me full-time.

Asked on July 30, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are not entitled to any amount that the father of your daughters received as a tax refund where he claimed the girls as dependents under his tax returns under the laws of all states in this country. His tax returns and refunds are his own matters.

If you believe that you should be allowed to claim your daughters as dependents under your own tax returns, you should consult with a reputable tax attorney or tax preparer as to such issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.