What is considered taxable income?

I own a computer service business. Often, I get service calls to troubleshoot network problems or fix software issues on computers. I don’t sell anything to these clients. I just bill them for my time. Is the income for this time or labor taxable? 

Asked on July 18, 2010 under Business Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Do you mean do you have to pay tax on the income you receive or collect tax for the service that you render?  You are indeed "selling" something: your skill and expertise in computers.  And if we are talking about income then yes it in taxable.  But as for collecting sales tax, Texas law does require collecting sales tax for "taxable services".  However, it does not appear from the list of services that your particular business requires the collection of sales tax.  I will give you the link here to look at and then you can judge for your self.  But I would also double check with an accountant or tax attorney.  Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.