What can I do about a change in my shifts at work?

My employer has recently opted for fixed shifts in the workplace. None of the employees were consulted on this but never the less this has been implemented. I have been forced by a

Asked on May 9, 2016 under Employment Labor Law


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Actually, there probably isn't anything that you can do about this. The fact is that most employment relationships are "at will". This means that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. This inlcudes initiating shift changes as it deems necessary. For an employee's part, they can comply with this change, complain and risk termiation, or quit. The only exceptions here would be if such treatment constitued some form of legally actionable discrimination, or if this action violates company policy or any applicable union agreement/employment contract. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.