Suspended from work in California for a license expiring with no notification that the license was out of compliance is this legal?

I was suspended from work for 2 weeks (in California) for a license expiring. I received no prior notification that the license was out of compliance. The 1st I was made aware that their was a problem was when i was taken off the schedule. The director of my department says that my manager receives a list of everyone that needs to be re-licensed each month and that i should have been notified. The fact that i was not notified is an over site but all i’ve gotten is an “oh i’m sorry you’ve been inconvenienced.” Is this legal and am i entitled to the pay that i missed because of this mistake?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, it's as much your mistake as anyone else's, if you have a professional or occupational license and you didn't get it renewed on time.  Your employer needs to know as well, but I very much doubt that your employer specifically told you or anyone else not to worry about your licenses, that they'd remind you when the renewal was due.  You should have gotten a notice directly from your licensing agency, and you might want to check to make sure that the contact information they have for you is up to date.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.